Thanks to my friend Dave Mitchell for nominating me for the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge! Who knew it could get so chilly at the
I’ve nominated current Ward 6 councillor Nancy Branscombe and London Food Bank co-directors Glen Pearson and Jane Roy to take the next chilly plunge. I really hope they take up the challenge and show
the fun side of being a community leader. Watch the video of my dunking here: London
As silly as these videos can get, it’s important to remember what this is all about – a disease that affects thousands of lives each year. Here are some quick facts:
- Amytrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is also known as motor neurone disease or Lou Gehrig’s disease
- It is a neurodegenerative disease with various causes. It is characterised by muscle spasms, muscle atrophy, and difficulty speaking, swallowing, and breathing.
- The disease affects over 30,000 in North America
- Famous patients include baseball legend Lou Gehrig, guitarist Jason Becker, and physicist Stephen Hawking
- Donations support ALS research can be made at www.als.ca or www.alsa.org
Please support this worthy cause!